Sunday, July 18, 2010

Lessons on Flirting: aka Getting What You Want. How do I do that again?

How do you woo a city?

I love Austin. She's beautiful, young, hip, fresh, and affordable. She's got a great sound, a fun scene, and a beautiful landscape. Yet she does have one flaw... she doesn't love me back.

If I had to give the summer so far a theme, I would title it "Unrequited love: the sickness of loving that which will not love you back." I have found the place I want to be, but it doesn't seem this place wants me.

Since moving in May, I've probably applied to four jobs a week, give or take. How many have I heard back from? Two. How many have I received interviews for? One.

I have made great friends and have had a lot of fun, but can't seem to find the job necessary to keep the fun going - to make the money necessary to live.

So now I must resort to wooing the city. Call me arrogant, but I thought my love for Austin would be enough. I'm completely smitten. I'm happier than I've ever been in any location! I feel at home, like I could live here forever. But how come I haven't found a place for me yet? Why is Austin playing so hard to get? Has she been used and abused too much before? She is one of those popular girls - everyone loves her. Many come here hoping and dreaming to make it big....I wonder how many she turns away. I hope I'm not one of them, but it's the signal I'm starting to pick up on.

I recently traveled home to San Diego and had the most wonderful time I've ever had there. After my stay of 10 days, I can say that I was not ready to leave. Normally I can't take more than a week at home before I feel like I need to get out of there and back to my real "life." But this time when I left San Diego, I was sad, tired, almost in a haze. And when my plane landed in Austin, I felt that sense of rejection all over again, and longed for sunny soCal where my friends love me and want me there to hang out with, watch their babies, coach their basketball teams, and lead their youth at church. I wanted to be back in the arms of the city who loves me.

But aren't there more jobs out in the heartland? Isn't Austin one of the best cities for working young adults? Yes. But just because there are more jobs, doesn't necessarily mean I will acquire one of them.

So, I ask you, my fellow readers. How can I woo this city?

My friend Ted told me that I like to woo and have a history of wooing people. And to this I will say that's the Kelsie of the past. The Kelsie of the present likes to be wooed. I like to be chased, pursued, fought for. I tend to think that my love should be enough - an act of reciprocated feelings and devotion. So I'm rather out of my element here in Austin. How do I do this flirting thing again? How do I flash a bright smile, tilt my head, and ask the city where she likes to have fun? How do I find what she's looking for and show her I have even more than she desires: I have what she needs?

If you have any advice, I'd love to hear it. Otherwise, this Kelsie might just be packing her bags and heading home to the good California lovin' that's emanating from the west.

No comments:

Post a Comment